What is Manitoba’s Occupational Health and Safety Act?
In Manitoba, The Workplace Safety and Health Act and Regulation set the health and safety requirements for provincially regulated businesses. The WSH is enforced by officers through inspections, investigations, and prosecutions.
Employer Responsibilities Under the WSH Act
Manitoba employers have a duty to protect the health and safety of their workers. They must do whatever they can to prevent injury, illnesses, and death in the workplace. To ensure employers fulfill this duty, the WSA requires employers to:
- Keep the workplace safe by protecting, training, and supervising employees.
- Educate employees on their rights under WSA.
- Consult the health and safety representative or joint health and safety committee when resolving workplace health and safety concerns.
- Cooperate with employees complying with WSA legislation.
- Provide employees with information on hazards and health and safety in the workplace, including a copy of the WSA.
- Develop a health and safety policy and program.
Check to make sure you are fulfilling these criteria in your workplace. Is your business compliant with the WSA and other occupational health & safety legislation?
Employer Line’s experts are here to help you meet standards and keep your business protected.
Establishing a Health and Safety Representative or Joint Work Site Health and Safety Committee
The WSA requires employers to have a safety and health committee to help assess and protect the workplace. Businesses with 20 or more employees must have a health and safety committee in place. The committee’s role is to advise the employer about health and safety concerns and put forth recommendations.
The employer is not required to follow these recommendations if they believe alternative corrective measures will address any raised concerns. Employers with more than four but fewer than 20 workers must have a worker representative
Need help complying with Occupation Health and Safety legislation?
Speak with our health and safety advisors to find out what you need to do to keep your business up to date with the latest health and safety legislation.
Our team is here to help you comply with the WSA along with any other health and safety regulations and legislation. Call us for expert advice today at 1-888-207-0657